Friday, March 19, 2010

Going NATURAL....


Ok ok ok so after years of "thinking" about it I've finally decided to just go ahead && get with the program and just go NATURAL!!! It's like a super huge deal to me because I have always wanted to just did'nt have the balls to do it until I had my daughter.  Kennedy's hair is very similar to my hair back when I was a child, #Fact she actually got her hair not from her father but from ME.  My mother permed my hair at a young age because my sister needed one && because although my hair was curly, it was thick and frizzy making it hard to manage.  When I look at K's hair I love her curls but it's so hard to keep her hair moisturized like OMG..I thought to myself that's probably why my mother just threw in the towel && said forget it PERM it!! lol But unlike her, Kennedy's hair did'nt make me want to give in the towel it made me want to search for products what will promote healthy hair growth and all natural products that will work for her hair.  I want her to embrace her natural hair, to love who she is and to FINALLY find something that will work on her curls.

I think I already stated this before in a previous blog, but if not I get my hair permed every six months.  The last time I had my hair permed it was back in Sept and as the time came to get a new perm I started to question if I wanted to go through with it or if I wanted go natural.  Problem: When going natural because my hair is naturally curly and possibly has more than one curl pattern, along with it's inability to stand humidity, how now would I approach the situation that would make this time different?  There are all kinds of products on the market from curly perms to Jeri curls smh but nothing to really work on naturally curly Ethnic/Mixed hair.  I have tried all the "white people" products that are designed for curls but nothing would work on my curls probably because I dont have "white people" hair. && As far as the black market is concerned they are too busy RELAXING and  TEXTURIZING their hair that they dont really embrace their natural hair.  So on my quest to go natural as I am 7 months into NO perm, what will I do with my hair??

Taking it upon myself to research different products on the market that cater to my hair needs, as well as friends and family close to me that are currently suffering from the same dilemna, I took to GOOGLE!! SN: I LOVE that search engine. Ok, so anyway, I searched for curly hair products that cater to ethnic/mixed hair and came across a few sites that really caught my interest.  But now what?? Well in order to determine which products work best on your curls you have to have your curl pattern diagnosed.  The curl chart ranges from 1 to 4 with letters from a-c assigned to each number.  1 being the straight and 4 being the kinky, a being the straightest and c being the curliest of each hair pattern.  After assessing both Kennedy as well as my own hair I had an idea that we fit in the 3 catergory which is the curls, 2 are waves and 4 are kinks, but wanting to be sure I contacted the administrator of the website and sent pictures of both my hair as well as Kennedy's hair to have it professionally assessed.  The pictures I sent were pics of my hair wet in it's state now as well as close up pics of my new growth to show the curl pattern. After about an hour she contacted me and confirmed Kennedy to be a mixture of 3b and 3c and said my hair is likely to fall around 3c or 4a, I'm betting it's 3c though with possibly 4a mix because there is never just one curl pattern to your curls.  Star References: kennedy's hair falls between: Mya (3b) and Rachel True (3c) and my hair is Rachel True(3c) and Beyonce (4a) .

Wow..I guess I've talked an awful lot already..Sorry but the best way to fully understand something you must become obssessed with it and I am soooo there with hair. In these past few weeks I have been reading about the hair products featured on the different websites, I have also been reading about different hair regimens and what steps should be taken in caring for your curls. For instance you should wash with a cleanser once or twice a month and wash with a purifyer in between, that during your transition your hair will eventually revert back as long as you dont continue to flatiron it and that during this process you should deep condition atleast once a week.  The proper brush to use as well as the different hair styles you can use to grow your hair out.  I dont think it will be that hard for my hair to revert because unlike most people my hair doesnt/isnt straight and never has been the perm just relaxed my curls so I dont have straight ends or straight pieces.  I opted for grow it out and have my ends trimmed every 6-8 weeks instead of doing a (BC) big chop or mini cuts where they cut about 4-5 inches every few months.  I can only imagine the damage that was done to my hair after all the perming but I look forward to stronger longer curls as I continue to learn and love my curls. 

I'm like so excited.  I ordered products from two different websites && will be posting pics of my progress. Wish me luck =). Ps. I dont alter my curls in any way shape or form. I dont manipulate them by twist outs, braid out`s, finger curling I wash my hair and Go period. My current regimen until my products arrive: Wash w/ the purple bottle of Pantene ProV & condition w/the purple bottle, comb the conditioner thru && then rinse then apply a small amount of conditioner in my hand and even distribute that provides enough weight that I dont have to worry about my hair poofying up and becoming a mess. About every two days I co-wash with the conditioner and then apply a small about to my hair that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment